Thursday, October 30, 2008

Letting go

I tend not to let go of things. It's the terrier in me. If I want something, I often will push until it happens.
Other times, I can detach and be patient ... but I've found that persistence pays off.

Except when it comes to relationships. I have a friend I've been missing for a couple of years. We both moved away and she stopped answering her phone or writing. I kept up calling and emailing until I suddenly realized she was not going to respond. She wasn't just busy - she was letting our friendship go. It's been hard to accept that. I still miss her. I want to tell her things about my life, hear all about hers, and laugh like we used to. I want to celebrate her achievements and enjoy being around someone who approaches life with such enthusiasm and creativity.
Unfortunately for me, she doesn't seem to want that right now. So I have to learn to let go.

No comments: