Friday, October 24, 2008

Feminism and marriage.

So I'm a feminist. And I'm getting married. I think these can work quite well together, but it's working my brain to figure out what my principles are going to mean in practice. Here's just a few things that I'm wondering about.

1) I LOVE homemaking things. Okay, it's partly more theory than reality, yet I do know that I get real satisfaction from home-care. How do I pursue these behaviors while not reinforcing traditional gender roles; and also, while maintaining a division of work with my husband that feels fair/right/good, so I don't at some point feel resentful for [my decision to do a significant quantity of] work around the home?

2) Workplace participation and raising children. I want to have children and I want to stay home with them. But as I consider the reality, I realize that I also seriously want to work, have a career and contribute through it. How can I/we make both of those hopes a reality?

I am sure many more thoughts will follow :)

2 comments:

Cassie said...

1) Split all household chores. My husband loves vacuuming, doing laundry and washing dishes, whereas I'd rather mow the lawn. But we still trade off.

2)Though I haven't tested it yet, I think it is possible to work and spend quality time with your child. Today's economy makes it very difficult to not live in a double income household, but I think it's also important to work at doing something you love. I'll let you know how it goes in 8 weeks :)

Kamilla said...

Thanks Cassie :) I'm definitely going to try for #1 (Mick's into it too, so no problem there). As for #2 ... we will see what happens! Can't wait to hear how your life with baby goes.