I went to see Made of Honor last night - this new Patrick Dempsey/ Michelle someone movie. It was pretty; the clothes were good; but it really wasn't a great movie. I don't quite get why originality and depth of character is so hard.
So you start with a classic "how it all began" scene that sets up their friendship; then you jump to a few scenes of their friendship right now, using all the usual in-jokes and continued conversations that imply the depth of their friendship. Then we get the compressed time-frame: she develops feelings for him all of a sudden; he realizes what he feels, all of a sudden; she gets engaged, all of a sudden; he wins her back, all inside of a two-month period. Six weeks, in fact. And the classic wedding-disruption scene, brilliantly arranged in The Graduate, but not so well done any time since. Plus the odd, grating moment of slapstick humor that does not mesh with the rest of the story line.
Then we have the more fundamental problems: lack of character and no foundation for love. I couldn't find any evidence in the movie that he brought anything of substance to their relationship. He was attractive, rich and fun. Um ... big deal?? Though the title implies that he will win her out through his character (honor), there is absolutely no proof that he has any honor. In fact, he works to disrupt her wedding, and hides his emotions, and creates an incredibly awkward moment (hello, disrupting your friend's wedding? How noble is this??). Their love also seemed based on simply knowing each other and having fun together, and nothing more. "We have these rituals, so I love her" - I'm not buying it. And in contrast, the other man has accomplishment, loyalty, and an apparent ability to express his emotions, act on them and be faithful. All of which he lacks. Which brings up the final problem: a romanticizing of the idea of soul mates, that love conquers all. Personally, I would be a bit skeptical of the ability of a man who has been conspicuously promiscuous for over a decade to suddenly settle down and be faithful. I'd look for a lot more as the foundation of a marriage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment